Print this page

Local Attractions

  • Allan Water and The Haugh

    faerybridgeview600wideA visit to Dunblane is not complete without a walk along the sides of the beautiful river Allan which runs through the middle of the town. Paths can be accessed from the cathedral or either end of the bridge in the middle of the town centre.

  • Ardoch Roman Fort at Braco

    Ardoch-Roman-FortArdoch Roman Fort is an archaeological site just outside the village of Braco. There can be found the remains of a Roman fort and several marching camps which included a signal tower. Part of the Roman Gask Ridge, it is said to be one of the most complete Roman camps in Britain and one of the best-preserved series of Roman military earthworks in the whole Empire.

  • Argaty Red Kites Birdwatching Centre

    Red KiteCentral Scotland's only Red Kite feeding station. Watch these wonderful acrobatic birds from our purpose built hide as they swoop and wheel at feeding time. We are open daily with a Ranger-led visit to the hide at feeding time in the afternoon.

  • Atlantic Wall on Sheriffmuir

    Atlantic wallThe Atlantic Wall is close to the Sheriffmuir Road and the Sheriffmuir Inn. It was used to test weapons as preparation for the attack on the Atlantic Wall in Normandy.

  • Bishop's Palace & Well

    Bishop's palaceDunblane's Bishops' Palace & Well lies to the south of Dunblane Cathedral (1066), What remains is in poor structural condition. Grass covered barrel vaulted chambers can still be seen. Part of the Palace site is believed to extend under the Cathedral Hall.

  • Burgh Chambers : Stirling Council's Local Office

    Burgh ChambersThe Council's Local Office is based in the Burgh Chambers close to the Cathedral. Anyone having watched the Kenneth More version of The Thirty Nine Steps (1959) will remember the leap from the window of the local Sheriff's office. This was from an upstairs room at the Burgh Chambers.

  • David Stirling Monument

    David Stirling monumentDavid Stirling is known as the founder of the SAS. In 2002 a memorial statue was erected to him on the Hill of Row, near his family's estate at Park of Keir, Dunblane.

  • Deanston Distillery Visitor Centre

    Deanston distilleryDeanston Distillery sits by the River Teith 10 minutes from Dunblane, close to Doune. Having been a cotton mill for 180 years, Deanston was transformed into a distillery in the 1960’s and has been distilling whisky using traditional methods ever since. Visit us and experience the sights, smells and sounds of a true working distillery and we will show you how we hand craft our great whisky which is sweet, fruity with a malty honeyed spiciness on the palate.

  • Dunblane Cathedral

    Dunblane cathedralFor many centuries the focal point of Dunblane has been its magnificent cathedral, which dates back in part to the 12th century and is one of Scotland's few surviving medieval churches. Viewed from the outside, the Cathedral is impressive, but its true beauty lies within.

  • Dunblane Library

    LibraryDunblane Library and the Church hall next door were formerly the Dunblane Institute and Church Hall. It was built on the vegetable garden of Balhaldie House and paid for by the Dunblane Reading Room and Amusement Association. Offered funds by Andrew Carnegie they turned this down and went it alone. The building is listed.

  • Dunblane Museum

    MuseumDunblane Museum houses a collection of artefacts, paintings, prints and photographs about the Cathedral and Dunblane, and it has one of the largest collections of Communion tokens.  The Museum is situated at The Cross in Dunblane, across the road from Dunblane Cathedral.

  • False Chapel on Smithy Loan

    False ChapelThis strange chapel like structure was built using the remains of building stones and arcitectural fatures left after the Red Comyn Inn was demolished. It looks like a real restored building but is really just the salvaged bits probably "borrowed" from older buildings around the town.

  • Gold Post Box

    Dunblane Gold Post BoxAs most people will know, Dunblane has its very own Olympic gold medal winner - tennis player, Andy Murray. And we also have a gold post box. Andy won gold in the mens singles tennis in London in 2012 and in Rio in 2016. If you want to grab a photo by the post box, it is situated at the roundabout on High Street close to the Cathedral.

  • Holmehill

    RiverViewHolmehill is a 13 acre greenspace in the centre of Dunblane. Situated to the east of the River Allan, and overlooking the cathedral, Holmehill is a prominent, attractive, and important landscape feature. Although now well wooded with mature trees, the origin of the name Holmehill – How Maol   'The Hollow of the Bare Hill’ - suggesting a time in history when it may have looked very different.

  • Kippenrait Glen

    Kippenrait glenRight on Dunblane’s doorstep, and easily accessed by either the Darn Walk or the Glen Road, is the fantastic ‘wildwood’ of Kippenrait Glen. Much of this extensive woodland, which clothes the steep sided banks of the Wharry Burn, and the more level riverbanks of the Allan Water, is thought to have been continuously wooded since the last ice age. A huge variety of beautiful woodland plants can be found – many of them rare and special. The woods look lovely at all times of the year, but in spring the bluebells and carpets of delicate white wood anemones and pungent wild garlic are certainly a highlight. Because the woodland is so special and has such varied biodiversity, it has been designated as a site of European importance and our government has a duty to conserve it.

  • Laigh Hills Park

    LaighillsLaigh Hills Park is a large, fairly natural area easily accessed from the Cathedral and the centre of Dunblane. There is a play area at the south end of the Laigh Hills and this is the first part you come to. The play equipment at the site has recently been upgraded (2018) and includes a multi-unit climber, springies, twisted slide, dutch disc, helter skelter and swings. There is a sand play area with rope climber for young children.

  • Leighton Library

    Leighton LibraryThe Leighton Library, the oldest purpose-built library in Scotland, was founded on the collection of Robert Leighton, Bishop of Dunblane, 1661-1670, later Archbishop of Glasgow, 1670-1674.  In his will, Leighton left a sum of money for the building of the library for use by the clergy of Dunblane diocese.  The library is situated close by Dunblane Cathedral, part of which dates from 1240. The library was built in part from fallen stone from the nearby ruined Bishop's Palace.

  • Loch Katrine

    Loch KatrineTake a cruise on the historic steamship 'Sir Walter Scott', or the 'Lady of the Lake' to experience the beauty of Loch Katrine and the magnificent scenery. Listen to the tales of the loch and admire the ever changing Trossachs landscape throughout the varying seasons. Kids get a shot at being 'Captain', and receive their very own certificate signed by the 'Skipper'.

  • Ochlochy Park

    ochlochyThe Park was once common land for cattle grazing, and it was gifted to the people of Dunblane as a children's play area in 1942. Its name derives from Gaelic, meaning 'The Little Loch in the Field' which is an apt definition of Ochlochy Park. A popular pastime for the local children is feeding the families of ducks on the miniature loch. It is a pleasant place for a short walk with toddlers who will enjoy the streams, bridges and ponds. The pond itself in its present form was buit by Victorian engineers as a water reservoir for the railway.

  • Old Churches House : Restored 13th century Chapel

    RiverViewA 13th century chapel in Dunblane that lay hidden beneath mud and undergrowth for many years has been painstakingly restored. Its trappings and church items, from books of worship to communion vessels, had surrendered to time, the identity of the body buried beneath a table alter similarly lost. The chapel is open as a visitor attraction, place of contemplation and even marriage venue. It is situated within the grounds of Old Churches House. Entry is free.

  • Queen Victoria's Horseshoe

    VictoriaHorseshoeSignAt the corner of Bridgend and Stirling Road, just below the Bridgend sign is a horseshoe fixed to the wall. This was from Queen Victorias horse when she passed through Dunblane. Her horse threw a shoe and the local blacksmith reshod her horse. The horseshoe was fixed to the wall on honour of this event. It is still there with a plaque below.

  • Sheriffmuir

    SheriffmuirThose interested in Scottish Jacobite history, may like to visit the scene of the battle of Sheriffmuir 1715. An obelisk monument to the Clan Macrae erected in 1915, stands on the battlefield. A short walk from the monument is the Gathering Stone - a block of grit, enclosed in an iron cage since 1840, where the standard of the Scottish clans is said to have been placed. If you carry on along the road you will arrive at the Sheriffmuir Inn, a child-friendly hotel which is a lovely spot for lunch or dinner.

Read 1197 times