The Leighton Library, the oldest purpose-built library in Scotland, was founded on the collection of Robert Leighton, Bishop of Dunblane, 1661-1670, later Archbishop of Glasgow, 1670-1674. In his will, Leighton left a sum of money for the building of the library for use by the clergy of Dunblane diocese. The library is situated close by Dunblane Cathedral, part of which dates from 1240. The library was built in part from fallen stone from the nearby ruined Bishop's Palace. For more information visit the Leighton Library website.