September 2017 Update
The northbound section of the B8033 from the roundabout at Claredon Place to the junction of Stirling Road and the southbound section of the B8033 from the junction of Beech Road to the roundabout at Claredon Place. Sunnyside will also be closed for its entire length. All roads closed from 9-10-17 until 23-10-17 to ensure public safety during bridge works. Alternative route : via Claredon Place-Springfield Road-Doune Road-A820-A9- B8033-Perth Road and vice versa. NB: Claredon Place will be open to two-way traffic.
February 2017 Update
- The bridge works will commence around the end of May 2017.
- The project will run for between 9 and 12 months.
- Network Rail plan to hold two drop-in sessions in the Victoria Halls for residents before the works commence.
- Every household will receive an information leaflet in March or April.
- Updates will be provided to residents who live within 500m every 6 to 8 weeksSunnyside will be closed to traffic and pedestrians (except for residents who will be able to walk to their houses).
- Clarendon Place will become two-way for traffic.
- Traffic will be two-way for the section of the B8033 on the abattoir side between the bus stop on the south side and mid way along the main road bridge over the river.
The only road bridge over the railway in Dunblane needs to be partially rebuilt. The bridge on the Perth Road Dual Carriageway needs to be raised to allow for electric trains between Dunblane and Edinburgh / Glasgow by next year. Engineers had previously thought that lowering the level of the track would be sufficient to install wires but due to flooding and other safety issues, they now need to raise the level of the bridge. Updated regulations also require higher parpapets on bridges over electrified railways.
The bridge is built in two halves - the original and the new when the road was dualled. Fortunately the road no longer requires to be dualled in any case so this should allow disruption to be less.
The Kerse Road bridge in Stirling has a similar issue which means it will be closed for a year from May, following the . Diversions to Springkerse will be in force.